FlexiWriteTM In Depth Guide
Creating and editing a document
Setting up a dictionary for use with Spell Check
1. Download a word list.
Some links to suitable word lists are provided at the link within this application; click 'Tools', go to 'Spell Check', 'Setup Dictionary' and click 'Get help setting up dictionary (web)'.
2. If the word list you downloaded in step 1 is in a zipped folder (filename ending in .zip), unzip it. It will normally be in your 'Downloads' folder or similar. You can normally do this by double clicking the zipped folder. You will then see a folder containing your word list.
3. Launch FlexiWrite if it is not already running.
4. Click 'Tools' in the menu bar, then go to 'Spell Check', go to 'Setup Dictionary' and click 'Choose Dictionary'.
5. Use the 'Open' dialogue that appears, to navigate to and select the word list you downloaded in Step 1. This will normally be in your 'Downloads' folder or similar. Click 'Open' on the 'Open' dialogue.
6. You will see a dialogue asking if you want to make this the default dictionary.
If you choose 'Yes', your chosen word list will be saved as the default dictionary for use with FlexiWrite. You will then be able to use this dictionary with Spell Check without having to follow the steps above to locate it on your system each session. Please note this may not work if you are using a shared or public computer, and you may have to locate the dictionary the first time you use Spell Check in each session*.
If you choose 'No' your chosen word list will only be used in this session, and in subsequent sessions FlexiWrite will revert to using the most recent dictionary that you set as default. This is useful if, for example you occasionally write in a different language from your usual.
7. You will then see a dialogue asking if you would like to load the dictionary. Click 'OK'. The dictionary may take several minutes to load depending on the file size. During this time FlexiWrite will not respond to any mouse clicks, or other input.
8. You can now use Spell Check by selecting from the options under 'Tools', 'Spell Check'.
- If you click 'Spell Check current Section', 'Spell Check current Chapter' or 'Spell Check whole Document', and no default dictionary is found, you will see a dialogue asking if you would like to locate a dictionary. Clicking 'Yes' will take you to Step 5 above.
- You can change dictionary at any time by following Steps 1-8 above (or 3-8 if you already have the word list). Click 'No' in Step 6 if you only want to use the dictionary in the current session and revert to the previous dictionary after you close and re-launch FlexiWrite.
- It is recommended that you backup you word lists. This means you can easily reset them as default after using a different dictionary or replacing your computer.
- If you add words to a word list, you will have to follow Steps 4-8 again before FlexiWrite will recognise the added words.
* If you keep a copy of FlexiWrite on a memory pen to use on shared/public computers, it is a good idea to keep copies of your word lists with it on the same memory pen so you always have them handy.